Disgraced West Linn Doctor settles $1 Billion lawsuit
- Dignity 4Patients

- Feb 3
- 3 min read

By Maxine Bernstein- 03/02/2026- Oregan Live- [Oregon, USA]- [David Farley]
A civil suit stemming from the alleged sexual abuse of nearly 200 patients by former West Linn Dr. David B. Farley has settled against the last defendant, Providence Willamette Falls Medical Center, attorneys confirmed on the eve of trial.
The trial had been set to start on Monday but was canceled.
Farley and the clinic he founded, West Linn Family Health Center, and Legacy Meridian Park, where he also practiced, previously settled with the patients.
The full terms of the settlements have not been made public.
Courtney Thom, one of the lawyers representing 174 people who sued, said they secured a “global settlement” against Farley, his health clinic and the two hospitals.
“This settlement holds these institutions accountable for devastating failures that allowed David Farley’s sexual abuse to continue for decades and delivers long-awaited justice and closure to our clients in their civil fight,” Thom said in a statement.
Thom said the women who filed the suit sparked change in the state, including the closure of the West Hills clinic and a state policy requiring a chaperone for sensitive exams.
The suit alleged that the clinic and the two hospitals failed to properly supervise Farley or prevent the abuse.
The civil suit was filed in late 2020, years before Farley was arrested on criminal allegations last October.
Farley has pleaded not guilty to a 16-count indictment filed in Clackamas County Circuit Court, alleging he abused five victims between 2007 and 2020. Two of the alleged victims were under the age of 14, the indictment alleges.
The indictment, alleging multiple counts of first-degree and second-degree sexual abuse and unlawful sexual penetration, followed an investigation by the Oregon Attorney General’s Office.
Farley’s criminal trial is scheduled to last four weeks, starting April 13, 2027.
Clackamas County District Attorney John Wentworth had requested the Oregon Department of Justice continue an investigation into Farley after a Clackamas County grand jury in 2022 found insufficient evidence to support an indictment.
Since then, the Legislature passed a bill that allows for the prosecution of people who sexually abuse another under the guise of medical diagnosis or treatment.
In a Jan. 1 note to patients, West Linn Family Health Center announced it will close permanently on March 19.
In August 2020, Farley agreed to voluntarily give up his state medical license after the Oregon Medical Board raised concerns about his “ability to safely and competently practice medicine” during its investigation.
Multiple women had filed a complaint with the Oregon Medical Board, alleging Farley conducted ungloved and unnecessary pelvic exams, fondled their breasts and had done check-ups in his bedroom at home.
The board found that Farley not only conducted unneeded Pap smears and pelvic and breast exams on adult patients, he did the procedures on young women under age 18 though medical guidelines since 2010 say most women should wait until 21 to have their first gynecological exams or Pap smears.
Farley also admitted that he took photos of the genitals and breasts of five patients, all under the age of 18, using his personal cellphone, according to board records.
In October 2020, the board revoked Farley’s license and assessed a $20,000 civil penalty for dishonorable and unprofessional conduct and gross or repeated negligence. The revocation was reported to a national databank. Farley agreed to never reapply for his medical license in lieu of paying the fine.
If you have been affected by any of the issues raised in this article and were abused in state run medical and health facilities, you can contact Dignity4Patients, whose helpline is open Monday to Thursday, 10am to 4pm.
Dignity4Patients Commentary: An ongoing civil litigation spanning 6 years, and nearly 200 patients, settled with the final defendant just hours before the trial was set to commence. This civil settlement in the West Linn case is a victory for patients who refused to be invisible—serving as a sharp reminder that survivor courage and collective action can create meaningful changes to prevent recurrence.
